Friday, October 4, 2013

A Smidgen of History at the ToiBox

        I don’t read a lot of historical fiction, but what I have read, I have found to be quite fascinating. Historical fiction, when done well, blurs the lines of truth and myth to the point where the reader is left wondering, “What if?” While I also do not write historical fiction, I do look into the past to give my stories depth, particularly in my upcoming book, Eternal Curse: Giovanni’s Angel.

Like many authors, on the road to publication, I’ve picked up the habit of blogging. My website and blog are called the ToiBox, and that is where I share my toy box of words (#thetoiboxofwords). On my blog I discuss many aspects of my writing and promote my books, as well as share a bit of myself so people have a chance to get to know me.
In my efforts to be all inclusive, there are times when I look back at history to see where I’ve come from and how I got to where I am now. Since my book, Eternal Curse: Giovanni’s Angel is a story that spans many years, I sometimes have an opportunity to share the research and development of that story from a historical point of view, even if it is quite rare. Even though I like the freedom of impossibility that the genre of fiction provides, I do also respect a sense of reality and truth. I have no intention of going back and rewriting history in my stories, so I make an effort to be historically accurate whenever possible.

I guess the only thing I need to concern myself with now, Is How Much of History Can We Trust (see my post from Saturday, September 27, 2013, for reference) 


****

To learn more about Toi Thomas and Eternal Curse: Giovanni’s Angel, please visit these links:

No comments:

Post a Comment