Monday, June 8, 2020

The Archer's Diary Book One by Liam Cadoc Genre: Historical Fiction Mystery



1. Can you, for those who don't know you already, tell something about yourself and how you became an author?

Okay, good question. Even as far back (several centuries) as high school, I had a gift for writing and always earned A+s for my English writing assignments. The various English teachers I was fortunate to have all encouraged me to keep writing in order to nurture my gift.

That said, I decided to take another career path because I also excelled in art class and turned to graphic design. In a serendipitous way, several years later I found myself as art director with one of Australia's major publishers designing and laying out books. Then, a few decades later, I happened to read an article that inspired a story idea that took me some 9 years to evolve into my foray into historical fiction — The Archer's Diary.

2. What is something unique/quirky about you?

I've always been intrigued by the supernatural and psychic powers. I read somewhere that we (as humans) utilize only a small portion of our brain's capacity. This led me to experimenting with my mind during my commute to my job with the publishing house. The drive took about an hour and snaked through beautiful bush lands. And for the most part, oncoming traffic was hidden from view by trees and the numerous bends. At first all I accomplished was giving myself some hefty headaches, but over a couple of months, I was able to 'detect' oncoming vehicles with my mind — even to discern the difference between trucks and cars, and eventually their colors.

A few years later, I was introduced to, and subsequently invited to join, a coven of white witches where each of us possessed an unique gift and, combined as a group, we worked to help people outside our group who had physical and mental problems. Unfortunately, being the inquisitive person I am, all this led me down a rabbit hole of experimentation that caused me to have a 'psychic breakdown.'   

3. Tell us something really interesting that's happened to you!

Following on from #2 above, I learned the dangers of 'playing' with the ouiji board, working with mirrors, and the like. I was even invited by various private schools to talk to their students about the subject.

4. Where were you born/grew up?

I am an Australian, born in Sydney. My parents were living and working in Lae, Papua New Guinea (Google it) and when the time approached for me to enter the world, my mother decided to return to Sydney. Two weeks after being born, we flew back to Lae where I spent the first 5 years growing up.

5. Which of your novels can you imagine made into a movie?

This might be a trifle self-indulgent, but something I would hazard to guess most — if not all — authors have thought on. I can well imagine Book One being made into a 2-part movie, with Book Two the rip-roaring sequel.

6. Describe yourself in 5 words or less!

An incurable inquisitive empathic romantic.

7. What are you passionate about these days?

I believe my compassion for the welfare of innocent animals has heightened ever since looking into the 'blood sport' of dog fighting, and its prevalence here in America and around the world.

8. What do you do to unwind and relax?

As well as a writer, I am a painter and do commissioned portraits of animals and people.
My wife and I are also very keen bare bow target archers; we also love camping, kayaking, traveling, movies, and catching up with old friends.

9. As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal?

I can see myself as an Anatolian shepherd dog-sized Border Collie.

10. What inspired you to write this book?

I have always had a fascination for historical fiction and medieval England. After spending 2 vacations driving around England, Scotland and Wales, the immersion in all that history combined with my love for the legend of Robin Hood to conjure up an idea that led me to write The Archer's Diary.

11. What can we expect from you in the future?

Should my debut to historical fiction with The Archer's Diary (Book One), and subsequently Book Two create a substantial following of eager readers, then I dare say I may well be tempted to remain writing in that genre for the foreseeable future.

12. How did you come up with name of this book?

Truthfully, the title for The Archer's Diary gave birth to itself. I had already settled on a broad outline for the story and was giving thought to a suitable name when it just 'came to me.' After all, the diary itself is the pivotal point of Book One and is the cause of all the mishaps and mayhem that occur. Then, in Book Two, readers are given the unique privilege of reading over Robin Hood's shoulder as he pens his thoughts and deeds in his private diary.

13. Who designed your book cover?

After a career of some 30+ years as a graphic designer in the publishing industry, both here and back in Australia, I plead guilty to having the audacity to design my own cover — and will continue to do so while I remain writing. Wouldn't it be crazy to toss aside all that experience?

14. What did you enjoy most about writing this book?

As much as I love writing, when it came to deciding to tackle my first historical fiction, it was the thought of the research that stirred me. Thankfully, with the Internet available at my fingertips, I was able to achieve a great deal of delving into the background of the period. But I was well aware others before me had trodden that path, and it was to their books that I turned for a lot of reference. Then there were those gracious people who were willing to step up when I approached them for professional consult — Ian Richardson, Treasure Registrar, British Museum, London, UK; The Department of Portable Antiquities and Treasure, British Museum, London, UK; The National Archives, Kew, UK; Mark Strong, Senior Access Assistant, The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, Wales; Pat E., Hay-on-Wye Tourist Information Bureau, UK; Lynne Moore, Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW); and others.

15. If your book was made into a film, who would you like to play the lead?


Ryan Kwanten, or any of the Hemsworth boys.



THE LEGEND IS REAL 

Since the 14th century, Robin Hood has proven to be one of the most enduring and versatile folk heroes. Medieval historians believed Robin lived during the 12th or 13th century but despite decades of intense research by contemporary scholars, solid evidence has never been found. 

Until now. 

Logan Daggett, son of Donald Daggett, well known CEO of one of Australia's largest international corporations, has his 21st birthday celebrations disrupted by a family tragedy, the revelation of his mother's decades-old secret—and a birthday gift of a collection of centuries-old family heirlooms. This series of events contrive to change the course of his life forever. 

Accompanied by his two closest friends, the young Aussie sets out to uncover the truth behind the accident that irrevocably changed his life, and to research the authenticity of the priceless heirlooms, completely unaware of the adventure and dangers lurking around every corner. 

During the course of their journey they uncover irrefutable evidence that causes further turmoil among the family, spark controversy among medieval scholars worldwide, and the potential of sparking upheaval to a country's history and creating conflict between two nations. 

Liam Cadoc's stunning debut to historical fiction sweeps readers into a ruthless world where greed and corruption threaten to deprive a nation of historical riches and the world of the truth behind a legendary hero. This is Book 1 of a 2-book set. 



Book Trailer 







Cadoc endeavors to create a feasible balance of historical fact and fiction into his writing in order to meet his obligation, as an author, to his readers. To that end he spends a large part of his conceptual writing on researching the world in which the characters will inhabit. "I've always had a fascination with history, particularly the medieval period of England and the Arthurian Legend. Though my genre is historical fiction, I hope that my readers will come away with a better understanding and appreciation for how people survived and endured before the inception of the basic luxuries we take for granted each day."

He penned his first fiction while in high school and was quickly recognized by the English staff and his class for his vibrant imagination. He was also a talented artist and, after graduating, followed a career as a graphic designer in the publishing industry compelling him to put aside writing for a number of years.

In 1998, he met his wife-to-be on the Internet when online dating was in its infancy. After 18 months of long-distance romancing, they wed in Sydney, Australia and he returned to America with his wife to begin a whole new life together.

Now retired, Cadoc has the time to return to his beloved writing and has spent 9 years working on THE ARCHER'S DIARY, his first historical fiction novel.

He enjoys bare-bow target archery, reading, writing, kayaking, movies, traveling, and doing the occasional commissioned portrait of pets or people. He currently lives in central Florida with his wife. 




$40 Amazon 

Follow the tour HERE for special content and a giveaway!




No comments:

Post a Comment